Thursday, September 17, 2015

Change is good, transitions are hard

Our arrival in Cairo was about as expected.  Our air conditioned bus, guide, driver and armed security guard were waiting for us.  The air was thicker than usual due to a sandstorm but our hopes were high that is would clear shortly.  Arriving at the University was a typical endeavor in confusion until we found the Res Life staffers who gave us the welcome we were hoping for.  After getting the students settled we were whisked off campus to a very nice apartment where we were confident that we would be comfortable for the next month.  The similarity to our accommodations in Costa Rica was shocking.  Comfortable but isolated.  The next day we were faced with the task of gathering supplies with no simple access to transportation.  Recall that in a previous episode of the Muth Family Adventures a routine trip to the grocery store resulted in facial stitches and fainting so we did not embark on this mission lightly (or with the children).  The guard at our building arranged for the campus shuttle to take us to the Oscar Superstore where I assured Janet that we would be able to find the necessary items to feed the children.  I should have been alerted to Janet's growing concern about this endeavor as we approached the store, a five-story colossus reminiscent of the Temple of Athena.  "This is not a grocery store, we won't be able to get food here!”, she exclaimed.  Now I was reasonably confident at this point given the 3-story graphic of a shopping cart on the front of the building.  We entered the store, found a cart and were offered fresh gelato from a nice man wearing a chef's hat and a starched white apron (I don't think we're in Cub anymore).  A quick lap through meat and produce (yes, six different types of mangoes) left us wanting more.  "Where is the dairy, the paper goods, the snacks!", she exclaimed.  Looking around I spied an escalator rising to the second floor.  Peering up I saw dairy, then snacks then more as the floors climbed gently up in a veritable tower of consumerism.  We gently pushed the cart onto the escalator and found that it was magnetically held in place as we elegantly climbed up one story.  I was having good luck with the fellow slicing turkey breast for Maggie's sandwiches when Janet comes racing up, "There is cheese in jars and butter in cans and I can't tell how much anything costs!"  Sensing that she was transitioning out of her comfort zone closer to the panic zone I suggested that we look at the eggs together.  "Well, these eggs are 11 Pounds and these are 25 Pounds" (they use the Egyptian Pound here) I said pointing to the signs below the eggs.  Now you must realize that the prices were written in Arabic, in fact most everything was written in Arabic.  She looked at me blankly, "How on Earth do you know that!".  If you know Janet and I she is the one who in the master of languages while I do a lot of smiling and nodding.  I figured at this point honesty was the best policy.  "Maggie taught me" I said sheepishly, taking a small step backwards.  "What!", Janet exploded.  "Yes", I quickly explained, "On the bus yesterday Maggie was telling me about how she had noticed the numbers on the baggage carousel and then she and I were practicing on the license plates as we drove to campus".  I really can't explain the reaction.  There was relief, pride, spite and maybe a few more written on her face.  But for me I was thrilled that a simple trip to the grocery store turned into a wonderful adventure in travel, relationships and culture.  

Regular or Decaf?

What are those?

Salt or sugar?

5 comments:

  1. Does Janet have Google translate on her phone yet? She needs it! Go Maggie for figuring the numerals Arabs actually use. Great to keep up with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Maggie! I can actually see this scene unfolding. We'll written, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Maggie! I can actually see this scene unfolding. We'll written, Greg!

    ReplyDelete