Early in our journey I was asked
about the value of study abroad. Why
invest so much time and money into an experience that can, in part be
replicated by local museums, books, 3D Internet simulations and faculty
expertise? I was struck by the question
but felt confident that study abroad was valuable and was indeed the “high
impact practice” that was so strongly supported by the college and validated
through credible research. My answer in
that moment was based mostly on my experience teaching chemistry. I can explain a chemical reaction on the
board and a student can understand the notation but it is not until we go into
the laboratory does the true learning take place. No until the powders are weighed out, the
liquids measured and solutions brought to volume in specially designed flasks does
the solution become part of long-term memory.
Only then do I feel absolutely confident that learning has been given
the best opportunity to blossom.
Study
abroad can also be a powerful experiential and transformative learning
opportunity. You can look at pictures of
the pyramids or the treasures of King Tut’s tomb but it is not until you climb
inside the pyramid and feel the weight of centuries above you or smell the must
of the Cairo Museum does the depth of the meaning of these artifacts seep into
and become part of your lexicon. But
experience alone is only one component of my teaching philosophy. Pairing experience with reflection, social
constructivism and dissemination is necessary for the whole package to come
together in full.
When we began
our journey I felt that everything was in place for an extremely powerful
learning opportunity. We were about to
embark on a journey that would take us into the heart of world treasures, the
places richest in culture and all done under the flag of academia. What could go wrong? I had a group of college students committed
to fun, learning, respect, responsibility and communication all embracing the
challenges of international experience.
My course had intentional exercises to promote deep and meaningful
reflection, discussion of the day’s events and assignments in place too allow
students to share their observations and questions. And so we began with eyes wide open and
hearts ready to receive what the entire world had to offer.
While in
the thick of it you force yourself awake, you grit through discomfort and you encourage
the best out of people while fighting tooth and nail with yourself not to blow
your stack every other moment. Then, in
the blink of an eye, it is over and you are sinking into the depths of your own
bed. What just happened? Did we really
just go all the way around the world? Did learning take place? What role did I play in the learning and or
lack of learning? Was all of the stress
and anxiety worth it? I am reminded of a
reflection a student shared. He talked
about visiting an art installation in Berlin and how deeply the experience
moved him. He couldn’t quite put a
finger on why it was so moving or what the meaning was to him at this point in
time. I assured him that was OK and that
it might take years to fully embrace the experience and put it into context. I also said the context and meaning might
change over time. It was easy to be a
coach in the manner of being excited for his potential and smile at his impatience
knowing that fro him, if he keeps working at it, it will all come together some
day.
Will I too
have an epiphany someday where the light goes on and I realize the true meaning
of the past five months? Was the hard
work, the stress on the family and battles with the students worth it? Today I know deep down that yes, it was
amazing; important life-long learning took place but I am having a hard time
articulating and compartmentalizing the experience into concrete pieces. I know I love to teach, I know I love to
travel and I know I have a lot to offer those who join me on journeys. I know that the kids grew and Janet added to
her repertoire of international experiences.
But now as I sift through pictures, assign final grades and write the
last report I am still processing my answer to the question, “So, how was your
trip?”
This volume of the Muth Family
Adventures comes to a close with lots of neat passport stamps, thousands of
pictures and most importantly a boatload of frequent flier miles that will be
cashed in soon enough to take us yet again on another journey of
discovery. Woohoo!

I can relate! Thanks, Greg, for your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteI've really enjoyed following your travels. Glad you guys made it home safely.
ReplyDelete