Sunday, January 16, 2011

A pilgrimage to mecca

What joy it was today to wake to warm breezes and brilliant sunshine! We took advantage of the dry air to regroup, do laundry and play baseball. Yes, baseball. I was invited to join a neighborhood group for a little pick-up ball. While the ball itself was nothing exceptional unless you consider batting and infield practice in mid-January exceptional (which you should by-the-way); the locale of said game was indeed a pilgrimage to mecca. Because of all the recent rain the regular field was too muddy for a game so we walked over to the Rawlings Baseball factory where they have a small field. The Rawlings factory is where dreams begin. It is the site where all major league baseballs are hand made. So to play there was indeed something special. Supposedly there is a kid's game on Saturday and I should get to play again next week (provided my much appreciated sunburn is better by then.)

2 comments:

  1. So cool! Your town must be pretty big. I know how you feel about the sun. We had a terribly rainy season last year. This year is completely different. I get the problem about not being able to do laundry. Man, you should have seen our pile up last winter! Sure, you can wash it, but it never dries! And drying machines? Ha! And who can stay clean with all the mud???? Keep us updated on the future baseball games! And how's homeschooling going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason Coulter writing here, not Mary Kay...

    Playing baseball in January is indeed a blessing! I still have the Rawlings baseball that I got at Old County Stadium with you. Do you remember? We snuck down to by the on deck circle in the 9th inning and someone dribbled a foul to the railing and I said, "Grab my feet!" and lunged over to scoop it up. Hundreds of baseball games in my life, the only ball I ever got. Great blog. Keep it up!

    Go PACK!

    ReplyDelete