Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dia de deportes

I would say that many Costa Ricans enjoy sports. Whether it is watching soccer on TV or participating in club sports or family games in the neighborhood. Today we joined other families and the teachers at our school for the annual "Sports Day" to celebrate the values that athletics bring to the people here in Costa Rica.

Maggie's class kicked things off with an interpretive dance.



There was face painting, balloon art and an inflable (you know, one of those inflatable jumpy things with a slide), hot dogs, carne asada (mmmmmm, grilled meat) and tons of desserts.




James and I took second in the Rally (once we figured out that a rally was a parent-kid obstacle course race).



And the Third Grade was victorious in soccer over their arch rival Fifth Grade.



There was talk beforehand about demonstrations of traditional Costa Rican games. But this seemed to fall a little short. Pretty tough to compete with a soccer tournament I guess.

The days are speeding by fast, check back often as we are going to have many adventures in the next three weeks.

1 comment:

  1. While you were at El Dia de Deportes, Greg, the Brewers were sweeping the Cardinals to take the NL Central Division lead. And then, the Fighting Apostles beat St. Dominic's White in a whomping fashion. I'm glad we're all having fun - that slip n' slide looks nice and wet!!

    ReplyDelete