Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rafting on the Pejibaye River




On Monday June 13th we went rafting on the Pejibaye river. We wanted to go rafting because Turrialba is famous for its rivers. Marty picked us up then we went back to his house where we loaded the raft on top of his car (that’s normal). We were with our guide Angel, his bother Leo and their other brother David. We also brought along a safety kayak in case anyone fell out. We got to a spot above the river and we carefully fitted our helmets and lifejackets and walked down to the river. We put the boat in but we didn’t start rafting until Angel taught us the commands: adelante (paddle forward), atrĂ¡s (paddle back) and al piso (get on the floor!). Maggie and I were sitting in the very front, Mom and Dad in the middle then Grace and David and finally Angel in the back to steer.


During the first half Maggie and I got splashed by a small waterfall and Maggie was scared. I was trying to protect her from the big splash. Grace was too busy yelling “Wooo Hoooo!!” to notice the splash. After Grace and Maggie changed spots, Maggie was much happier sitting near Mom and Dad.
At one point we were out of control and ran into some hanging grass with a hive of some sort in the middle. Grace and I got covered in black bugs, but thankfully they did not sting or bite.
We went a little bit further downstream and we got to a calm, small place in the river where we could get out and swim. On the other side of the river there was a rock that we could jump off. Angel and Leo and David really enjoyed the swim. The water was really cold but it felt really good to get out of the boat.
During the second half of the trip down the river we saw a lot of cool things like the ave de sol (a bird with yellow, orange and red on its wings) and a cool lizard that looked like a baskalisk. When we were almost done we got stuck on a lot of rocks because the water was so low.
As special part of the trip was that out friend Marty was able to take pictures of us while we were in the raft.

I would do this again because it was very fun and I liked the experience.



Respectfully submitted,
James

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you experienced all of the possible rafting effects - splashing in too much water, scraping in too little water, being out of control...

    I'm glad Marty took those pictures.

    We're waiting for your next adventure post!

    ReplyDelete